Monday, April 16, 2007

Theme Song



"There are 2 types of people in this world: Those who like Neil Diamond and those who don't" This is one of my favorite quotes from the movie "Saving Silverman". For those of you who don't know, this sidetail LOVES Neil Diamond. I feel sorry for those who do not see his artistic vision and musical genious. So many people are distracted by his animal magnetism to really appreciate his talent. When his music is playing (which is often), you can bet that there is some great sidetailing going on at this house. I grew up with Neil. He speaks to me.

One song that has a special meaning to me (if you take away the sexual overtones and references) is "Forever in Blue Jeans". It's my theme song, the creed I live by. When my sister and I go to his concerts, you can see us standing up, doing our white girl dance in front of the world. Two sidetails, reveling in both the glow of Neils forehead sweat and the shadow of his chest hair. But when "Blue Jeans" starts to play, this sidetail brings the dancing to a whole new level. There is singing and sweeping hand motions. My eyes close and there is peace throughout the land. For "Blue Jeans" is one of the few songs that captures the sidetail philosophy of life from the very first lines.
"Money talks.
But it don't sing and dance and it don't walk.
As long as I can have you here with me.
I'd much rather be...
Forever in blue jeans."

You can't get more eloquent than that. Meaning and happiness in life is not about money. It doesn't sing and dance. It don't even walk! All money is is a green piece of paper that causes all sorts of trouble. Life is about our relationships. Our family, our friends, who will be there with us no matter what. It doesn't matter if you can't afford to wear anything with a brand name or a cashmere blend, a true sidetail buddy will love you in your pair of cheap ass blue jeans. In fact, they will cast off their high class threads and parade around in Dollar General duds, if they get to be with you for the duration.

Don't you see the symbolism?
Blue jeans are tough as nails but they become your most comfortable companion with time. They are a classic that never goes out of style. (I am not taking into account "mom jeans" or 80's stone washed, pegged at the ankle jeans. Those are blue pants that wish they were real jeans. Not to mention ugly.) Even if your mom says you need to get rid of those tattered trashy jeans, you don't. You are loyal to your jeans, forever. Neil, man, you are one deep guy to come up with "Blue Jeans".

So, as time parades on, be sure your friends are closer to your heart than your wallet is.

"I'd like to say, we'll do okay. Forever in blue jeans" ~Neil Diamond

Sidetail Advice: Neil's "Love on the Rocks" is a great way to break up with someone who won't wear their blue jeans with a sidetail. I have found that if you write out all the lyrics for this song and place it in a locale where the intended recipient will easily find it (like their locker or backpack), they will quickly leave the defunct relationship. You will just have to ignore weeks of rude gestures and comments as you pass them in the hall.

2 comments:

Jen said...

One of my favorite memories of childhood is driving across the Ambassador bridge in the station wagon SCREAMING the words to "Coming to America" with my brother and sister. It was the whole package - stupid kid humor, sibling bonding, and driving our parents insane. Sweet Caroline reminds me of some good old days too. Good times never seemed so good.

Anonymous said...

So from one sis to another, the memories and bonding that Neil has brought us is unmatchable.I remember the feeling we had when he looked and pointed to us at his concert. Nothing else existed in that moment except you, me, and NEil. Everytime I watch football games I am brought to laughter with thoughts of "It's a beautiful noise" and then can be brought to thoughts of long time friends with "Hello", and then too be brought to my knees in depression and tears with "I am"or "You don't Bring Me Flowers". Yes Neil has tapped into every emotion in the human psyche. He is the ultimate, the amazing, and ever handsome all time greatest singer and songwriter of all time. Thank you dear sister for sharing witht he world his greatness.DIAMOND GIRLS FOREVER!!!